It’s about that time to start planning your list for heading off to college. These can be long lists and while searching for futons and microwaves you may forget the little things that are most definitely some of the most important items that should be on your list.
Here are 10 things that you should add to your list of things to pack if they aren’t already there:
- Paper Towel: There will be spills. Just bring it. Please.
- Command Strips: Of all types and sizes. Hanging your things up allows you so much more space in your small room. Make sure you have both heavy duty strips for heavier objects coats and backpacks and lighter strips for hanging up accessories like hats and necklaces.
- Kleenex. Srsly though. You’d be amazed at all the people who don’t have kleenex in their rooms, especially when the floor plague comes around (it’s a real thing, and beware of it). Using toilet paper is NOT FUN. Just bring a starter box at least!
- Vitamins and Emergen-C: like I said, the floor plague is real. Be ready to combat it early with vitamins and Emergen-C.
- Tide Pods: the best thing that you can do for yourself to help get through doing your own laundry. They make it so easy. Throw one in for a light load and two for a heavy or particularly dirty load. Bam. You’re done.
- A scissors: they come in handy and you might be the only one around on your floor with a pair of them. You’ll be famous.
- A vacuum. Either a handheld or a small stand-up vacuum is a must have in college. If you are living in the dorms, you’re front desk will most likely have one. In my experience though, these vacuums are not well maintained and usually do not work. Having your own will make cleaning so much easier and quicker. Trust me!
- Hanging Wall Lights: If you are sharing a room with a roommate these are a must have! Not only do they serve as a pretty decoration, but they are the perfect lights to leave on for your roommate when you decide to go to bed early and they are out late. Instead of leaving all the lights on, leave these on instead, they give off just enough light for your roommate to come in and get ready for bed without waking you up. Here is a cheap option from Target: http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-14-17-x-9-45-x-22-44-inch-winter-white-string-lights/-/A-23980561
- Mini Storage Ottoman: You can find these at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond and let me tell you they are SUPER HANDY. They serve as storage, a table, a foot rest, or extra seating. I used mine almost daily last year and it is where I kept my extra blankets for when friends came to stay overnight. My choice is this ottoman for $14.44 from Target: http://www.target.com/p/microsuede-ottoman-room-essentials/-/A-51004606#sn-51004606
- Dish Soap and a Sponge: this is actually really important. Don’t forget it! I was amazed by some of my friends who didn’t have any of their own and rarely cleaned their dishes. Don’t let this be you. Be cleanly. (I prefer a Dobie Pad: https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Dobie-
Do you think I’m missing something really important? Or has one of these items come in handy for you in the past? Let me know in the comments below.